Sunday, September 28, 2008

Parent/Teacher Conferences

Friday at 12:30 we held our first session of parent/teacher conferences. We have them the last Friday of every month. Not really knowing what to expect, I was panicking slightly beforehand, because I didn't have any grades ready yet (embarrassingly enough, I'm still organizing myself). All I had known was how parent/teacher conferences were for me when I was growing up in school: sign up for a 15 min. slot, come with the parent to the classroom, sit down with the teacher, and talk about academics. I don't know if Friday was how all conferences will go, but it wasn't what I was expecting at all. The parents all showed up at around 12:40 and sat in a classroom while the homeroom teacher addressed general issues such as putting names on homework, etc. Then the parents lined up to talk with the homeroom teacher one-on-one. I didn't have a translator, so only a few of the parents who know English or had older children to translate approached me. A lot of them were more supportive than I was expecting, which was another pleasant surprise!

If anything else, Friday showed me how much work I have to do in organizing myself and in getting grades ready. Hopefully I will be better prepared next month or the parents may not be as supportive and understanding! Until then, it's time to get back to work!

4 comments:

KJ said...

Sounds scary! Glad it went okay. :)

Mom said...

I'm glad it went well for you!
Hang in there!foy

mocha4mama said...

Initial "baby steps" are usually shaky. Now you know the roads so, sit back and enjoy the trip.
Rhonda

Tiffany said...

I'm happy to hear the parents love you. I don't know how they could do anything else...
We miss you in washington!